- CSDL runs several Linux servers for lab users. Each provides specific services.
- terminal services (ssh/sftp) (interactive.csdl.tamu.edu)
- heavy computation(computational.csdl.tamu.edu)
- e-mail (imap.csdl.tamu.edu, pop.csdl.tamu.edu)
- file and database services(minerva.csdl.tamu.edu — mapping windows partitions)
- Web (web server: www.csdl.tamu.edu)
- There are other project-specific servers that you may access with authorization from your supervising faculty.
Several Windows computers and a Mac are available in rooms 406 and 408 for general CSDL use. Your supervisor may allocate a particular desktop computer for long-term use in your office space, if one is available.
- Please ensure that you login as a user in the CSDL Windows domain (and not the local computer domain).
- Your home drive maps to H: .
- Save all your work-related stuff on H: (do NOT install applications here)
Each user has an email account <username>@csdl.tamu.edu.
- All important CSDL emails and announcements are sent to this address.
- Please check this email regularly or forward it to another account that you check regularly.
- To forward your email, create a file in your home directory with the name “.forward”
(notice the initial ‘dot’) and type in the email address where you want
to forward all your email.
- To access your email from Windows computers use the following settings:
- POP server: pop.csdl.tamu.edu
- IMAP server: imap.csdl.tamu.edu
- Outgoing mail server: smtp-relay.tamu.edu
To create Web pages:
- Make a folder called “public_html” in your home directory
- Copy all Web-accessible files to this folder
Your personal page is located at http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~<username>
CGI, Servlets, Scripts
To request scripting support
- create a directory for hosting the scripts (could be in your personal or project space)
- decide the URL that you would like to make these available from
- send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org for making these Web-accessible along with the folder location and the desired URL
We run a mysql database server. To request databases send an email to email@example.com with the following information
- name of the database
- username and password for database admin (database-specific user and password names are recommended)
- username(s) and password(s) for database access and the permissions desired for each.
- list of computers that will directly connect to this database/li>
- purpose of this database.
- copy your email to your faculty advisor/sponsor