CPSC 436 - 500: Computer-Human Interaction
Fall Semester, 2006
Time and place: Tues/Thurs 2:20 - 3:35, HRBB 113
Instructors: Dr. Frank Shipman, Dr. Haowei Hsieh
Office hours: HRBB 402B & 402D, TBA, or by appointment
Final Project Reports: Due 12/05/2006
This deadline consists of two parts:
- Hand over a written report to the instructor at the beginning of
the session on 12/05/2006.
- Give a short presentation and demo the project in the class.
Details regarding both these requirements are given below:
- 8 to10 pages (10 or 12 point, single spaced) including screen shots of the user interface.
- The report may include portions of your earlier reports (concept, design, etc.).
- The project report should be typed on a work processor and
checked for spelling and grammar. No handwritten reports will be
- The report should include:
Specification for your project (while the earlier report proposed these
aspects, this report should present what you actually did).
- What metaphors/design principles does your project embody?
- What features did your team implement?
- What tools/technologies did you use and why?
- System architecture and implementation details
- Screen shots of the user interface
- How does the UI satisfy the needs of your users?
- Does it "speak their language"?
- Use of colors and placement of interface elements (Gestalt)
-- the colors may not be apparent in black-only printouts, don't worry
- Your evaluation strategy
- What are the characteristics of users that you would invite to evaluate this system?
- What kind of tasks will you ask them to perform?
- What metrics will you use to evaluate the success of your system?
- Comparison with existing applications (which)?
- Performance measurements (how will you measure them)?
- Other criteria?
Demo and Presentation
- Duration of about 10 minutes
- Focus on the system demo rather than the Powerpoint presentation.
- No more than 5 slides.
- Presentation should clearly convey your ideas to the class
- The presentation should inform the audience about
- Design decisions
- User interface
- Target population
- Specific tasks the test subjects will perform to evaluate the interface