Handout 4: September 20, 1999
CPSC 672-600: Computer Supported Collaborative Work, Fall 1999
Term Project Specification
The term project assignment is very broad and very flexible. Working either
individually or in a group, choose a topic of interest within the domain of
Computer Supported Cooperative Work and carry out a cohesive, complete project
based on it.
The topic you choose can range from the theoretical to the practical. Some
suggestions of general areas include:
- A survey paper describing an issue of interest and what's being done
- A research paper describing an issue and a convincing solution.
- An implementation, describing a problem, a design, and a demonstration
- An evaluation project, evaluating one or more current or proposed
- An implementation project, generating a complete prototype.
You may work individually or in teams. A team can be as large as you want it
to be, but correspondingly larger results will be expected from larger teams.
All members of a team will receive the same grade for a group project. You
will need to present a project proposal to the instructor and will be expected
to prepare a final report (written) and an oral presentation (in class).
The following requirements and deadlines are relevant.
- Project proposal: target date for completion of October 8, 1999.
Indicate problem and participants. There is no specific due date for the
proposal but since it needs to be approved you should do it as soon as
- Project report (written): Due by Tuesday, December 14.
- Project report (oral): These are scheduled for the last two class
sessions (Friday, December 3, and Monday, December 6).
Presentation time will depend on the number of different projects undertaken.