Reading List one
Tuesday, January 16, 1996;
Introduction; review of local research
Thursday, January 18, 1996
- Bush, Vannevar, As we may think, 1945. (Appeared in the
Atlantic and in Life magazine in 1945. Subsequently reprinted
- Bush, Vannevar, Memex Revisited, in Science is Not Enough by
- Conklin, Jeff, A Survey of Hypertext, December 1987, revision 2
(based on the article in IEEE Computer, September 1987).
Tuesday, January 23, 1996
- Engelbart, Douglas C., A Conceptual Framework for the Augmentation of
Man's Intellect, in Howerton, Paul W., General Editor and Weeks, David C.,
Associate Editor, Vistas in Information Handling, Volume I, Spartan Books,
1963, pp. 1-29.
- Engelbart, Douglas C., and English, William K., A research center for
augmenting human intellect, Fall Joint Computer Conference, Volume 33, Part
1, 1968, pp. 395-410.
- Engelbart, Douglas C., Watson, Richard W., and Norton, James C., The
Augmented Knowledge Workshop, paper presented at the National Computer
Conference in New York City, June 1973.
- Engelbart, Douglas C., Workstation History and the Augmented Knowledge
Workshop, for the ACM/PARC Conference: History of Personal Workstations,
Palo Alto, 9-10 Jan 86.
Thursday, January 25, 1996;
Engelbart videotape (presentation at the 1986 conference on the History of
Personal Workstations, incorporating parts of his 1968 presentation at the
Tuesday, January 30, 1996
- Nelson, Theodor H., A File Structure for the Complex, the Changing and
the Indeterminate, Association for Computing Machinery Proceedings of the
20th National Conference, 1965.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Workspaces, Text Theaters, and Hypertexts: Purpose
of These Notes, Hypertext Note 0, 29 Apr 1967.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Brief Words on the Hypertext, Hypertext Note #1,
23 Jan 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Hypertexts and, or perhaps versus, CAI,
Hypertext note #2, 23 Jan 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Text and Text-related Display: Some Terms,
Hypertext note #3, 7 April 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Work Theaters, Workspaces and Their Parts,
Hypertext Note 4, 7 April 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Creativity Systems, Hypertext Note 5, 7 April 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Presentational Theaters for Interactive Media,
Hypertext Note 6, 7 April 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Hypertext Structures, Hypertext Note 7, 26 April 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Stretchtext, Hypertext Note 8, 29 Apr 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., A Hypertext Structure for Self-teaching,
Hypertext Note 9, 29 Apr 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Xanadu, Hypertext Note 10, 29 Apr 67.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Abstract: As We Will Think, meeting of the
American Chemical Society, 1968.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Computopia and Cybercrud, Levien, R. E., editor,
Computers in Instruction: Their Future for Higher Education, July 1971.
- Nelson, Theodor H., Managing Immense Storage, Byte, January
1988, pp. 225-239.
- Carmody, Steven, Gross, Walter, Nelson, Theodor H., Rice, David, and van
Dam, Andries, A Hypertext Editing System for the /360, in Faiman, M.,
and Nievergelt, J., editors, Pertinent Concepts in Computer Graphics,
University of Illinois Press, 1969.
- Kay, Alan, and Goldberg, Adele, Personal Dynamic Media,
Computer, March 1977, pp. 31-41.
Thursday, February 1, 1996;
Nelson video from HT87