Handout 4: 10/5/95
Term Project Specification
The assignment is very broad: choose a topic of interest within the domain of
Human-Computer Interaction and carry out a cohesive, complete project based
around it. The topics can range from the theoretical to the practical. Some
suggestions of general areas include:
- A survey paper describing an issue of interest and what's being done
- A research paper describing an issue and a convincing solution.
- An instructional module, explaining some system or process using
- A comprehensive design of an interface, including problem statement.
- An evaluation project, evaluating one or more current or proposed
- An implementation project, generating a complete prototype.
You may work individually or in teams. A team can be as large as you want it
to be, but correspondingly larger results will be expected from larger teams.
All members of a team will receive the same grade for a group project. You will
need to present a project proposal to the instructor and will be expected to
prepare a final report (written) and an oral presentation (in class). The
following deadlines are relevant.
- Project proposal: target date for completion of October 15,
1995. Indicate problem and participants. There is no specific due date
for the proposal but since it needs to be approved you should do it as
soon as possible.
- Project report (written): Due Thursday, November 30.
- Project report (oral): These will be scheduled on the last two class
sessions of the term (November 30 and December 5). Presentations will
be short--10 or so minutes in length.