Handout 6: 9/1/09
Hypertext, Fall 2009
Assignment: Research Proposal
Due Tuesday, November 24, 2009
The assignment is to write a mini-proposal for hypertext centered research that if carried out
successfully would be publishable in a conference such as the Hypertext
conference (or maybe a conference such as ASIS&T, Digital Humanities, or a
venue in the subject area).
The proposal can be on any topic that you wish. Your target
length is at least 5000 words.
It should have at least the following components:
- brief abstract (one paragraph), giving the highlights of the proposed work
and its significance.
- problem statement, in which you explain the problem to be investigated and
analyze why it is an interesting problem.
- hypothesis, in which you indicate what you wish to discover.
- literature review, in which you identify the
relevant research that gives insights on the problem. The references/citations
for the literature should follow scholarly standards.
- materials and methods, in which you specify what steps you would take and
what resources would be required.
- evaluation, in which you explain how you determine whether you answered
your question (in a way that will be convincing to others)
- expected results and significance, in which you discuss the possible
outcomes and their significance.
Turn in the report on paper and also include a copy on your course Web site.
Please include your email address on all materials turned in.