Handout 2: 9/1/09
Hypertext, Fall 2009
Daily readings summary requirements
Due at the beginning of class on the assigned date for the reading
For each assigned reading, turn in a single page with the following
There is an interesting (and short) essay at
that gives some thoughts on reading and evaluating technical papers.
- Your name and email address
- A complete and accurate reference for the reading. If the reading is a Web
copy of a published article, use the publication information from the article
rather than the Web site information. The reference should be in the ACM
publication format. See
for a specification of the reference format (see the section titled "Special
note about reference format").
- Answer the following questions:
- When was the paper first published?
- Where was the work carried out, if possible to determine? Identify both
the institution and the department.
- What kind of publication printed the paper? This might be an ACM journal,
an ACM conference, another society's highly-ranked conference, a mass-market
- List around five key take-away points from the paper (a bulleted list is
- List around five questions you have about the work that would be worth
discussing in class (a bulleted list is fine).