Handout 4: 2/11/08
Digital Libraries, Spring 2008
Digital Library Summary Assignment
Choose library in class on Wednesday February 13, 2008
Presentations beginning Monday, March 3, 2008
This is an individual project.
Each student is to pick a different Web-accessible digital library.
For your digital library
prepare and present an in-class overview, about 15 minutes in length.
Presentation slides are to be placed on your course Web page.
Topics to be covered are:
- What library did you choose? What does it contain? What is its intended
audience and focus?
- Who runs the library? What is the institutional commitment? What policies
are reflected in what contents it holds?
- How is it browsed/searched?
- How is it maintained? What standards are involved?
- How is it sustained?
- What are its unique factors? What are its shortcomings and strengths?
Provide an overall evaluation of the library.
Here are some possible example libraries:
- ACM Digital Library
- IEEE Digital Library
- NSDL (National Science Digital Library)
- California Digital Library
- Texas Digital Library
- Perseus Project's Digital Library
- Library of Congress American Memory
- Alexandria Digital Library