CPSC 671-600: Research proposal
Assignment: Research Proposal
Due Monday, April 25, 2005
The assignment is to write a mini-proposal for research that if carried out
successfully would be publishable in a conference such as the CHI
conference. The proposal can be on any topic that you wish. Your target
length is around 5000 words.
It should have at least the following components:
- brief abstract (one paragraph), giving the highlights of the proposed work
and its significance.
- problem statement, in which you explain the problem to be investigated and
analyze why it is an interesting problem.
- hypothesis, in which you indicate what you wish to discover.
- brief literature review, in which you say something about what other
relevant research you've encountered that gives insights on the problem.
- materials and methods, in which you specify what steps you would take and
what resources would be required.
- evaluation, in which you explain how you determine whether you answered
your question (in a way that will be convincing to others)
- expected results and significance, in which you discuss the possible
outcomes and their significance.
Turn in the report on paper and also include a copy on your course Web site.
Please include your email address on all materials turned in.