Readings, under development
- Readings 1
Alexey Maslov and Haiyan Fan
- Donald Norman.
"The Psychopathology of everyday things."
From The Psychology of Everyday Things (The Design of Everyday Things).
First published 1988.
Available in the old text and in 408 HRBB.
- Jeff Johnson
"Textual bloopers: an excerpt from GUI bloopers."
Vol. 7, No. 5, Sept/Oct 2000, pp. 28-48.
- Ben Shneiderman
"Understanding human reactivites and relationships: an excerpt from Leonardo's laptop".
Vol. 9, No. 5, September 2002, pp. 40-53.
- Readings 2
Sandeep Ramji and Kanika Agrawal
- Vannevar Bush, "As We May Think", Atlantic Monthly, July 1945.
IRE Transactions of Human Factors in Electronics,
(see copy here; note that we are
only reading one of the two papers)
Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg
"Personal Dynamic Media"
Originally appeared in IEEE Computer 10(3):31-41, March 1977
Jeff Johnson, et al.
"The Xerox Star: A Retrospective",
Vol. 22, No. 9,
(In old text and
- Readings 3 (q)
Sarah Davis and Jie Chen
- John Gould, How to design usable systems. 1988, revised. From Readings
in Human-Computer Interaction: Towards the Year 2000. (old text and paper)
- Clayton Lewis and John Rieman, Getting to Know Users and their Tasks, 1993.
(old text and here)
- S. Joy Mountford, Tools and Techniques for Creative Design, in B. Laurel
(Ed.) The Art of Human-Computer Interface Design, 1990 (old text and
- Readings 4
Aparna Kanungo and Mohit Kumar
- L. Vertelney, Using Video to Prototype User Interfaces. In SIGCHI Bulletin
(old text and on paper--previous link to ACM DL does not have full text)
- T. Erickson. Working With Interface Metaphors, in B. Laurel
(Ed.) The Art of Human-Computer Interface Design, 1990.
(old text and paper)
- Joseph E. McGrath, Methodology Matters. In Readings
in Human-Computer Interaction: Towards the Year 2000, 1995.
(old text and paper)
- Readings 5 (q)
Marlo Nordt and Jinding Dou
- Robert L. Mack and Jakob Nielsen. "Usability Inspection Methods: Executive
Summary." Pages 1-24 from the book published 1994.
(Old text and paper).
- Jakob Nielsen. "Guerrila HCI: Using Discount Usability Engineering to
Penetrate the Intimidation Barrier". 1994. http://www.useit.com/papers/guerrilla_hci.html
- Readings 6
Shreyas Kumar, Tim Faltemier, and Khoa Dang
- Liam J. Bannon. "From Human Factors to Human Actors," in Greenbaum and
Kyng, Design at Work, 1991.
- Bodeker, Gronbaek, and Kyng, "Cooperative Design: Techniques and
Experiences from the Scandinavian Scene. (old text).
- Ehn and Sjogren. "From System Descriptions to Scripts for Action," in
Greenbaum and Kyng, Design at Work, 1991.
- Readings 7 (q)
Sung Won Lee and Konstantinos Meintanis
- Suchman and Trigg. "Understanding Practice: Video as a Medium for
Reflection and Design,"
Greenbaum and Kyng, Design at Work, 1991.
- Wendy E. MacKay. "Is paper safer? The role of paper flight strips in air
traffic control." ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction
(TOCHI). Vol. 6, No. 4, Dec. 1999, pp. 311-340.
- Readings 8
Swapnil Sinvhal and Eunyee Koh
- Henry Mintzberg, A Typology of Organizational Structure. In Baecker,
editor, Readings in Groupware and Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, 1993,
- Wanda J. Orlikowski, Learning from Notes, CSCW 92. (ACM DL)
- Flores, Graves, Hartfield, and Winograd. Computer Systems and the Design
of Organizational Interaction. ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems,
6(2), April 1998, pp. 153-172. (ACM DL)
- Readings 9 (q)
Brandon McCall and Karl Jablonski
- Rob Kling, Controversies about Computerization and the Organization of
White Collar Work, adapted from The Information Society 9(1), Jan-Feb 1993,
pp. 1-29. (Read version in old text.)
- Suzanne Iacono and Rob Kling, Computerization Movements: The Rise of the
Internet and Distant Forms of Work. Information technology and organizational
transformation: history, rhetoric, and practice, 2001, pp. 93-136. (Available
on the Web)
- Readings 10
Avanti Ketkar, Gangman Yi, and Pramod Gurunath
- Jonathan Grudin, Interactive Systems, IEEE Computer, 24(4), pp. 59-69,
April 1991. (IEEE DL)
- Brad Myers, Scott E. Hudson, and Randy Pausch,
Past, Present, and Future of User Interface Software Tools,
ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction, vol 7, no. 1, March, 2000,
- Greenberg, S. and Roseman, M. (1999).
Groupware Toolkits for Synchronous Work. In M. Beaudouin-Lafon, editor, Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (Trends in Software 7), Chapter 6, p135-168, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, ISBN 0471 96736 X. 258pp.
- Readings 11 (q)
Bridgette Summerfield and Isaac Aholu
- Ken Perlin and David Fox. Pad: an alternative approach to the computer
interface. SIGGRAPH 1993.
- Brad A. Myers. "Using Hand-Held Devices and PCs Together," Communications
of the ACM. Volume 44, Issue 11. November, 2001. pp. 34 - 41.
- Readings 12
Neal Audenaert, Jie Deng, and Manas Singh
- Fogg, et al., What Makes Web Sites Credible? CHI2001.
- Couper, Tourangeau, and Steiger, Social Presence in Web Surveys, CHI2001.
- Riegelsberger, Sasse, and McCarthy. "Shiny happy people building trust?"
CHI 2003. (ACM DL)
- Readings 13 (q)
Rhonda Dunn and Daniel White
- Golovchinsky and Denoue. Moving Markup: Repositioning Freeform
Annotations. UIST 2002.
- Lee, Forlizzi, and Hudson. The kinetic typography engine: An extensible
system for animating expressive text. UIST 2002.
- Fogarty and Hudson, "GADGET: A toolkit for optimization-based approaches to
interface and display generation." UIST 2003. (ACM DL)
- Readings 14
Jaehee Jung and DoHyoung Kim
- Fiore, Tiernan, and Smith. Observed behavior and perceived value of
authors in Usenet newsgroups. CHI 2002.
- Pagulyan, et al., "User-Centered Design in Games," in Jacko and Sears
(Eds.), The Human-Computer Interaction Handbook, 2003.
See cached draft copy.
- Readings 15 (q)
Blake Stoker and Ayman Moghnie
- Fallman. "Design-oriented human-computer interaction." CHI 2003.
- Gaver, Beaver, and Benford. "Ambiguity as a resource for design." CHI
- Hook, Sengers, and Andersson. "Sense and sensibility." CHI 2003
- Readings 16
Chih-Tang Lee and Eshita Sharmin
- Carole Goble, Simon Harper and Robert Stevens,
"The travails of visually impaired web travellers",
Hypertext 2000, pp. 1-10.
- Ho-Ching, Mankoff, and Landay. "Can you see what I hear?" CHI 2003.
- Jacko, et al. "Older adults and visual impairment." CHI 2003.
- Readings 17
Some readings we should have included!
- Gray, John, and Atwood. Project Ernestine: Validating a GOMS Analysis for
Predicting and Explaining Real-World Task Performance. Human-Computer
Interaction, 8(3), p. 237 ff., 1993. Online version
- Mark Weiser, The Computer for the 21st Century. Scientific
American, pp. 94, September 1991. Draft copy online
April 6, 2004