Handout 4: 1/23/03
Computer-Supported Collaborative Interfaces
Presentations on Monday, February 17 and Wednesday, February 19
This will be a group project (groups of 3). Your group will prepare a 15
minute presentation for class and a two or three page handout to give to the
class. Each will give a general overview of what issues are included in the
topic area, what kinds of research/systems are being examined, and who is
involved in the work. The written handout should give pointers where further
information can be found on the area. Topic areas will be assigned by random
Here are the topic areas:
- Ways in which groups share information and the emergence of concensus.
Some keywords included in the CSCW 2002 proceedings include: collaborative
filtering, recommender systems, community awareness, knowledge sharing,
community building. Perhaps specific systems like MUDs and WIKIs also fit in
- Ways in which computer processes assist in collaboration or serve as
surrogates for human participants. Keywords include agents and avatars.
- Ways in which the computer intermediary can structure or guide a
collaboration. Keywords include computer-mediated communication, collaborative
(or group) editing, operational transformations.
- Free-form, lightweight collaboration. Keywords include ad-hoc
collaboration, peripheral awareness, situational awareness. Also related are
mobile devices and perhaps specific technologies like instant messaging.
- Tools and techniques for building groupware. Keywords here include
conceptual software architecture, design model, application sharing, toolkits, etc.
- Interaction including physical artifacts. Keywords here include haptics,
human visual perception, augmented reality.