Assignment 3: Research proposal assignment
Due Wednesday, May 2, 2001
The assignment is to write a mini-proposal for research that if carried out
successfully would be publishable in a conference such as the CHI
conference, or in a related conference (e.g., Hypertext, CSCW, Digital
Libraries, etc.). The proposal can be on any topic that you wish.
It is to be at
least 5 pages in length (single-spaced) but no more than 10 pages in length.
It should have at least the following components:
- brief abstract (one paragraph), giving the highlights of the proposed work
and its significance.
- problem statement, in which you explain the problem to be investigated and
analyze why it is an interesting problem.
- hypothesis, in which you indicate what you wish to discover.
- brief literature review, in which you say something about what other
relevant research you've encountered that gives insights on the problem.
- materials and methods, in which you specify what steps you would take and
what resources would be required.
- evaluation, in which you explain how you determine whether you answered
your question (in a way that will be convincing to others)
- expected results and significance, in which you discuss the possible
outcomes and their significance.
April 10, 2001