Handout 5: 1/20/00
CPSC 610-600: Hypertext, Spring 2000
Web technologies reports
We have set aside five class sessions to discuss Web-related technologies.
Each session will be run by a separate group from the class. The presenation
should cover what the issue are, what resources are available, a demonstration,
if appropriate, etc. Make handouts if they seem relevant or place a summary on
Form groups of size N (N will be decided in class. Choose a
topic, either from the list below or one your group selects itself. Email the
instructor, identifying the group members and proposing the topic, and agree on
a presentation date. Topics will be allocated in a first-come first-served
manner, so if another group already has reserved a closely related topic, you
will need to find another one.
Here are some possibilities for topics:
- Servers: What are the HTTPD servers available, and what are their
strengths and weaknesses? What common functionality do they provide?
What functionality does one provide that others don't?
- Mobile application languages: What are HDML and WAP? Why are they
- Secure transport: https, etc.
- SMIL (Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language)
- XML: introduction to XML.
- XML-allied utilities: e.g., XLink (XML linking language), XUL (XML Update
- Style languages and document modeling: DOM (Document Object Model), CSS
(Cascading Style Sheets), XLS (eXtensible Style Language), etc.
- Object specification languages: MathML (modeling language for mathematics);
SVG (scalable vector graphics image format).
- Web-site design guidelines.