- Readings 1
Presenters: Iftekhar Ahmed and Crystal Donald
- Donald Norman.
"The Psychopathology of everyday things."
From The Psychology of Everyday Things (The Design of Everyday Things).
First published 1988.
Available in the old text and on paper.
- Vannevar Bush, "As We May Think", Atlantic Monthly, July 1945.
Available from many sources:
(Previous URL of
(HTML)has ceased to be free.)
- Readings 2
Presenters: John Hamilton
IRE Transactions of Human Factors in Electronics,
(see copy here; note that we are
only reading one of the two papers)
- Mark Weiser, The Computer for the 21st Century. Scientific
American, pp. 94, September 1991. Draft copy online
- Readings 3
Presenters: Fletcher Comstock and Marianne Manglicmot
Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg
"Personal Dynamic Media"
Originally appeared in IEEE Computer 10(3):31-41, March 1977
Jeff Johnson, et al.
"The Xerox Star: A Retrospective",
Vol. 22, No. 9,
(In old text and
- Readings 4
Presenters: Maritza Johnson
- John Gould, How to design usable systems. 1988, revised. From Readings
in Human-Computer Interaction: Towards the Year 2000. (old text and paper)
- Clayton Lewis and John Rieman, Getting to Know Users and their Tasks, 1993.
(old text and here)
- Readings 5
Presenters: Robert Graham and Nathaniel Lynch
- Robert L. Mack and Jakob Nielsen. "Usability Inspection Methods: Executive
Summary." Pages 1-24 from the book published 1994.
(Old text and paper).
- Jakob Nielsen. "Guerrila HCI: Using Discount Usability Engineering to
Penetrate the Intimidation Barrier". 1994. http://www.useit.com/papers/guerrilla_hci.html
- Readings 6
Presenters: Jae-Rock Kwon
- S. Joy Mountford, Tools and Techniques for Creative Design, in B. Laurel
(Ed.) The Art of Human-Computer Interface Design, 1990 (old text and
- L. Vertelney, Using Video to Prototype User Interfaces. In SIGCHI Bulletin
(old text and on paper)
- T. Erickson. Working With Interface Metaphors, in B. Laurel
(Ed.) The Art of Human-Computer Interface Design, 1990.
(old text and paper)
- Readings 7
Presenters: Binoy Dash
- Joseph E. McGrath, Methodology Matters. In Readings
in Human-Computer Interaction: Towards the Year 2000, 1995.
(old text and paper)
- Readings 8
Presenters: Samarth Jain
- Henry Mintzberg, A Typology of Organizational Structure. In Baecker,
editor, Readings in Groupware and Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, 1993,
- Wanda J. Orlikowski, Learning from Notes, CSCW 92. (ACM DL)
- Readings 9
Presenters: Juwairia Zubair
- Liam J. Bannon. "From Human Factors to Human Actors," in Greenbaum and
Kyng, Design at Work, 1991.
- Bodeker, Gronbaek, and Kyng, "Cooperative Design: Techniques and
Experiences from the Scandinavian Scene. (old text and paper).
- Readings 10
Presenters: Joshua Rossmeisl
- Ehn and Sjogren. "From System Descriptions to Scripts for Action," in
Greenbaum and Kyng, Design at Work, 1991.
- Suchman and Trigg. "Understanding Practice: Video as a Medium for
Reflection and Design,"
Greenbaum and Kyng, Design at Work, 1991.
- Readings 11
Presenters: Brad Everman
- Wendy E. MacKay. "Is paper safer? The role of paper flight strips in air
traffic control." ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction
(TOCHI). Vol. 6, No. 4, Dec. 1999, pp. 311-340.
- Readings 12
Presenters: Vamsi Sadda
- Rob Kling, Controversies about Computerization and the Organization of
White Collar Work, adapted from The Information Society 9(1), Jan-Feb 1993,
pp. 1-29. (Read version in old text.)
- Suzanne Iacono and Rob Kling, Computerization Movements: The Rise of the
Internet and Distant Forms of Work. Information technology and organizational
transformation: history, rhetoric, and practice, 2001, pp. 93-136. (Available
on the Web)
- Readings 13
Presenters: Sumant Mehta and Hamed Alhoori
- Flores, Graves, Hartfield, and Winograd. Computer Systems and the Design
of Organizational Interaction. ACM Transactions on Office Information Systems,
6(2), April 1998, pp. 153-172. (ACM DL)
- Jonathan Grudin, Interactive Systems, IEEE Computer, 24(4), pp. 59-69,
April 1991. (IEEE DL)
- Readings 14
Presenters: Ahmed Chaudhary
- Brad Myers, Scott E. Hudson, and Randy Pausch,
Past, Present, and Future of User Interface Software Tools,
ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction, vol 7, no. 1, March, 2000,
- Greenberg, S. and Roseman, M. (1999).
Groupware Toolkits for Synchronous Work. In M. Beaudouin-Lafon, editor, Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (Trends in Software 7), Chapter 6, p135-168, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, ISBN 0471 96736 X. 258pp.
- Readings 15
Presenters: Belita Gopal
- Jonathan Grudin. Groupware and social dynamics: eight challenges for developers.
CACM. 37:1, January 1994. Pages 92-105. (ACM DL)
- Bonnie A. Nardi and James R. Miller. Twinkling lights and nested loops:
distributed problem solving and spreadsheet development. International Journal
of Man-Machine Studies. 34:2, February 1991. Pages 161-184. (Copy to be
- Readings 16
Presenter: Fletcher Comstock
- Gray, John, and Atwood. Project Ernestine: Validating a GOMS Analysis for
Predicting and Explaining Real-World Task Performance. Human-Computer
Interaction, 8(3), p. 237 ff., 1993. Online version
- Readings 17
Presenter: Iftekhar Ahmed
- Catherine C. Marshall. Towards and Ecology of Hypertext Annotation.
ACM Hypertext 1998.
- Golovchinsky and Denoue. Moving Markup: Repositioning Freeform
Annotations. UIST 2002.
- Readings 18
Presenter: Crystal Donald and Marianne Manglicmot
- Ken Perlin and David Fox. Pad: an alternative approach to the computer
interface. SIGGRAPH 1993.
- Brad A. Myers. "Using Hand-Held Devices and PCs Together," Communications
of the ACM. Volume 44, Issue 11. November, 2001. pp. 34 - 41.
- Readings 19
Presenter: John Hamilton
- Dumais, Cutrell, Cadiz, Jancke, Sarin, and Robbins. Stuff I've seen: a
system for personal information retrieval and re-use. SIGIR 2003. Pages
72-79. (ACM DL)
- H. Bruce, W. Jones, and S. Dumais.
Keeping and Re-finding Information on the Web:
What do people do and what do they need? In ASIST 2004: Proceedings of the
67th ASIST annual meeting, Chicago, IL, October, 2004. (Copy here)
- Readings 20
Presenter: Maritza Johnson
- Rebecca E. Grinter and Leysia Palen.
Instant messaging in teen life.
- Voida, Grinter, Ducheneaut, Edwards, and Newman. "Listening in: practices
surrounding iTunes music sharing." CHI 2005.
- Readings 21
Presenter: Jaerock Kwon and Sumant Mehta
- Ingmarsson, Dinka, and Zhai. TNT: a numeric keypad based text input
method. CHI 2004. Pages 639-646. (ACM DL)
- Karlson, Bederson, and SanGiovanni. "AppLens and launchTile: two designs
for one-handed thumb use on small devices". CHI 2005.
- Readings 22
Presenter: Juwairia Zubair and Samarth Jain
- Czerwinski, Horvitz, and Wilhite. "A diary study of task switching and
interruptions." CHI 2004.
- Oulasvirta, Tamminen, Roto, and Kuorelahti.
"Interaction in 4-second bursts: the fragmented nature of attentional resources
in mobile HCI." CHI 2005.
- Readings 23
Presenter: Hamed Alhoori
- Dabbish, Kraut, Fussell, Kiesler. "Understanding email use: predicting
action on a message." CHI 2005.
- Marshall and Bly. "Saving and using encountered information: implications
for electronic periodicals." CHI 2005.
- Readings 24
Presenter: Josh Rossmeisl
- Carter and Mankoff. "When participants do the capturing: the role of media
in diary studies." CHI 2005.
- Millen, Muller, Geyer, Wilcox, and Brownholtz.
"Patterns of media use in an activity-centric collaborative environment."
- Readings 25
Presenter: Robert Graham
- Goble, Harper, and Stevens. "The travails of visually impaired web
travellers". Hypertext 2000.
- Mankoff, Fait,and Tran. "Is your web page accessible?: a comparative study
of methods for assessing web page accessibility for the blind." CHI 2005.
- Readings 26
Presenter: Vamdi Sadda
- Chapuis and Roussel. "Metisse is not a 3D desktop!" UIST 2005.
- Wilson. "PlayAnywhere: a compact interactive tabletop projection-vision
system". UIST 2005.
- Readings 27
Presenter: Binoy Dash
- Kortuem, Kray, and Gellersen.
"Sensing and visualizing spatial relations of mobile devices."
- Christel and Conescu.
"Addressing the challenge of visual information access from digital image and
- Readings 28
Presenter: Brad Everman
- Liu and Gleicher.
"Automatic image retargeting with fisheye-view warping."
- Li and Landay.
"Informal prototyping of continuous graphical interactions by demonstration."
- Readings 29
Presenter: Belita Gopal
- Barton, Caldwell, and Jeavons.
"E-library of medieval chant manuscript transcriptions."
- Fekete and Dufournaud.
"Compus: visualization and analysis of structured documents for understanding
social life in the 16th century."
- Readings 30
Presenter: Ahmed Chaudhary
"Cross-cultural usability of the library metaphor."
- Chu, Bainbridge, Jones, and Witten.
"Realistic books: a bizarre homage to an obsolete medium?"
April 5, 2006